Friday, January 26, 2007

The Undisputed Heavyweights @ Joe's Pub (take two)

The Undisputed Heavyweights @ Joe's Pub

I will always remember seeing The Undisputed Heavyweights for the very first time. I had no idea what to expect, and then I heard Casey Shea tell the crowd a song was dedicated to me because I had just been fired from my job. He made the crowd scream, "Damn the man." I was flabbergasted, and in awe. This band has that thing called the it factor. I knew it then, and I know it now. After countless shows and repeated blog postings, I still find myself falling for this band more and more each time.

And I will never forget last night's show at Joe's Pub.

Like I said, I've seen this band at least 15 times by now. I know the whole routine. But never had I been serenaded before. During my favorite song (and a top 25 of 2006) "Lost (On An Island)" or as they are calling it now "Girl Like You," Mr. Shea took my hand and crooned away. I think a little piece of my heart melted in that instant. Albeit being completely embarrassed, I know it's one of those times that I'll remember with a great big smile.

And the rest of the show? Brilliant. Spectacular. Surreal. (Insert more adjectives here)

I just cannot tell you enough how great this band is. You won't believe me until you experience it yourself. They are the ideal balance between talent and show, with each moment above and beyond the last. If I had my way, I'd see this band play every night of the week, no joke.

One of my regrets last time they played this venue was that they didn't bring back "Casey" an extraordinary number in which Mr. Shea laments to himself over a glass of red wine. It providing the highlight of the evening this time around, with Casey down on his hands and knees in a magical moment that the crowd just couldn't get enough of.

Look out for a live EP coming your way by the time of their next show, February 22 at Mercury Lounge. Seriously, if you're looking for an escape from the hohumdum of what's being called indie rock these days, check this band out. I personally guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

The Undisputed Heavyweights @ Joe's Pub


The Undisputed Heavyweights @ Joe's Pub


The Undisputed Heavyweights @ Joe's Pub

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online