Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Our Friends Up North: Tokyo Police Club & Malajube

My friend gave me a gift certificate to Other Music (record store here in NYC) for Christmas so I found myself perusing the store on Friday after getting back from the vacay. I was en route to Best Buy to buy a new DVD player (RIP old one), and was determined to buy myself two brand new albums.

For some reason or another I ended up going all-Canadian with my selections, picking up Tokyo Police Club's A Lesson In Crime and Malajube's Trompe-l’oeil. You can listen to some of the selections of both albums this week on The Blog Show but I figured it would be nice to give you a heads up.

I saw Tokyo Police Club a while back at Annex one of those Thursdays and really felt the energy of this young band. Lots of hand clubs and dancing ensued, and I am surprised it took me this long to actually pick up their EP. Oh well. Better late than never. The 7 song album is jam-packed with hits, one after another that keep your feet tapping and head shaking. It's a little more rowdy than your regular dance rock, combining in a few more rock than dance elements. You'll have these songs stuck in your head for days. I promise.

  • Tokyo Police Club - Be Good
  • Tokyo Police Club - Nature Of The Experiment

    I was won over by the hand written review at Other Music to pick up Malajube's second album Trompe-l’oeil. Perhaps it was a strange attempt to better my French (or not, as you will hear on this week's show) but an album sung completely in French intrigued me. Might as well switch it up in the New Year, right? Right. No matter what language these songs would be in, they are quirky and fun with celebrated choruses and screeching vocals. It borders on theatrical at times, but these guys are Canadian. We'll let them get away with it because we're simply enjoying it far too much.

  • Malajube - MontrĂ©al -40°C
  • Malajube - La Monogamie
  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online