Friday, November 10, 2006

Napoleon Says | Phoenix

Greetings from Maryland.

It was time I got out of the city. Last week's CMJ madness continued a bit into this week and frankly, I needed a break. I needed a long drive, a couch, and the lack of sirens to remind that I'm not, in fact, going crazy. Or at least get some sleep. That's always nice.

I met my Mom in Jersey yesterday. She had flown in from London earlier in the week and stayed with friends. She had a rental car for our drive down to Maryland, and I called her in the morning to ask if there was a CD player. No, sweetie, she said. I cringed at the thought of commercial radio for a 4-5 hour drive.

When my mom picked me up for the bus station the first thing I noticed was the CD player. God dammit mom! Sorry, she said. She never notices technology. Now I had a CD player at my fingertips, but no CDs. I hopped into the driver's seat (ah, driving, it's been too long) and pulled a detour over to Tower Records.

First of all, Tower Records is incredibly depressing. Most of the shelves are bare and the selection of what is left is anything but exciting. All CDs were 30% off, but managed to still rack up a decent bill. I had 5 minutes to pick out as many CDs as I could. It was like Supermarket Sweep: Indie Rock edition. Five CDs later, I was set for a drive.

Here's an mp3 from each album I purchased. My mom totally approved of them all, especially Goldfrapp. I had the most fun listening to Phoenix, because goddamn I love that band. (And, might I add, calm you drastically while sitting in traffic.) Some of these albums I already owned, but wanted them for the ride. Two copies of something super is never a bad thing.

Enjoy.

  • Phoenix - Napoleon Says
  • Goldrapp - Slide In
  • Be Your Own Pet - Wildcat!
  • Nouvelle Vague - Friday Night Saturday Morning
  • Asobi Seksu - Strawberries

  • 0 Comments:

    blogger templates | Make Money Online